Saturday, March 6, 2010

Le Sigh

I have my own teacher website. (I'm not going to link it here in the interest of privacy--I want to be able to rant and if you know who I am, I won't be able to.) Mostly my website is the same as others--lots of helpful links for parents and colleagues. I have uploaded some things I've made for reading (a brochure-type thing) that have proven wildly popular. I'm not over-exaggerating, either.

I get several emails each week about the brochures. They're simple things, really, just a brochure that has three panels on each side. It has five questions that I took from the "guide on the side" of the teacher's edition and spaces to write the answers to the questions. Some unknown genius teacher came up with the original format, but it's easy enough to copy (steal!) and implement on one's own time.

I'm happy to share. Teachers should share, especially if they have better ideas than mine. I did the first 4 units (20 stories from the basal, folks--20 stories!) and then intended to do the rest as I needed them. But now, since Rotney's family obtained a copy of the assessment book and I've decided to drop this series in favor of the previous one, I'm not doing any more of the brochures. Mostly, because I'm busy reinventing the wheel as I try to come up with activities without the benefit of a teacher's edition. Partly, because I'm still mad about the whole assessment book mess.

Now comes the part with all of the emails. Ever single email that I get thanks me for the first four units and wants to know where the other two are. Begging. Pleading. Driving me crazy. I finally stopped answering them. That made me feel guilty, so I finally put a notice up on the website that this is all there is or will be this year.

I feel so relieved that it's all over. And, folks, these brochures aren't difficult to do. It takes time, a laptop, and a basal teacher's edition (ask Rotney's family for that last one--I'm sure they can get one for you!)



No comments:

Post a Comment